[Mailman-Developers] Re: Anti-spam "killer app"?

Satya satyap@satya.virtualave.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:25:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 23, 2002 at 13:01, Victoriano Giralt wrote:

>Satya wrote:
[things]

>Excusme if I have lost part of the thread but, what are you using for
>all this nice filtering?

Okay, here's the process:

Mail comes into the system, grabbed and checked by procmail.

Mail delivered to various detsinations according to rules.

Last set of procmail rules filter all remaining email through the SRS
checker, which:

a) passes it on normally if it doesn't recognize spam
b) MIME-encapsulates original with a "This is spam!" message, adds
X-Spam (or somesuch) header

Next rule checks for X-Spam header and inserts flagged messages into
special folder, which I manually empty once a day (week, whatever).

False negatives (unrecognized spam) I save to another folder called
'spam'. False positives (none yet) are saved to folder 'nonspam'. This
step is done manually by me while reading email.

Once a night (week, whatever) I copy the spam and non-spam folder
files (mbox) to SRS's directory, run the hashing and rating programs
(20+ minutes), and delete the folders.

(If I say 'I' in the above, it's done by me manually.)

I'm sure some of those steps can be automated.

--
Satya. <URL:http://satya.virtualave.net/>
User error: Please replace user and hit enter to continue