[Mailman-Developers] Uncaught bounce notification

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Mon Dec 2 05:26:42 2002

    MM> So, unless I'm missing something, if you use VERP, you should
    MM> be able to process any bounce from a subscriber.

Right.

    MM> Is it desirable for mailman to pass on a VERP bounce coming
    MM> from a held message notification sent to a non subscriber?

No.

    MM> Would it make sense for mailman if it receives a bounce that
    MM> is obviously verped and that there is no such member, to just
    MM> drop it silently (maybe with a log entry)?

Yes.  Actually, in a patch I worked out over the weekend (and one of
many I hope to check in in the morning), I log and drop any recoginzed
bounce that yielded a non-member address.  That seems like the most
reasonable behavior.  The current forwarding was mostly for debugging
purposes, but I think it's just more annoying than useful.