can't resolve "smrsh: mailman not available for sendmail programs"
ksteward at keithsteward.com
Sun Dec 29 13:31:35 EST 2002
After several attempts to get Mailman installed (including stable 2.0
final, and newest 2.1rc1), and hitting unresolvable "smrsh: mailman not
available for sendmail programs" issues (despite trying numerous
things), i'm just about ready to give up.
I've been able to get Mailman to send email to a new subscriber asking
for confirmation, and the /var/log/maillog shows the response to the
subscriber's confirmation email, but ALWAYS reporting the damn smrsh
-------- /var/log/maillog segment ------------
sendmail: gBTEUjD30785: from=<ksteward at keithsteward.com>,
size=2749, class=0, nrcpts=1,
proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=steward-family.com [18.104.22.168]
smrsh: uid 8: attempt to use mailman request test1
sendmail: gBTEUjD30785: to="|/etc/smrsh/mailman request test1",
ctladdr=<test1-request at justice4injuredworkers.org> (8/0),
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=31743, dsn=5.0.0,
sendmail: gBTEUjD30785: gBTEUjD30786: DSN: Service unavailable
sendmail: gBTEUjD30786: to=<ksteward at keithsteward.com>,
delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, pri=31843,
relay=keithsteward.com. [22.214.171.124], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
(gBTERt820385 Message accepted for delivery)
----------- end segment ---------------
RedHat 7.2, Sendmail 8.11.6, Python-2.2.2
The /etc/aliases includes:
## test1 mailing list
test1: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman post test1"
test1-admin: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman admin test1"
test1-bounces: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman bounces test1"
test1-confirm: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman confirm test1"
test1-join: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman join test1"
test1-leave: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman leave test1"
test1-owner: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman owner test1"
test1-request: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman request test1"
test1-subscribe: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman subscribe test1"
test1-unsubscribe: "|/etc/smrsh/mailman unsubscribe test1"
Sendmail can send and receive successfully from a regular (non-Mailman)
account on the machine running Mailman.
newaliases was run after the above aliases were added.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Dec 29 05:38 mailman ->
The permissions on the /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman wrapper are:
-rwxr-sr-x 1 mailman mailman 39593 Dec 29 05:16 mailman
*Things i've tried:*
1. ./configure --with-mail-gid=mail
2. path to mailman wrapper in /etc/aliases as either
'/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman' or '/etc/smrsh/mailman'
3. ln -s /etc/smrsh/mailman /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman
4. copying the compiled wrapper (/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman)
5. changing uid/gid of the wrapper to mailman, to mail
6. by-passing sendmail as a test as in: echo "confirm" |
/etc/smrsh/mailman request test1, only to get mailman complaining
about the gid
7. by-passing root/sendmail as in: sudo -u mail "test" |
/etc/smrsh/mailman request mailman, only to still get a gid complaint.
8. restarting Sendmail daemon and Mailman's qrunner daemon after
By the way, i've done extensive reading of:
* Mailman INSTALL
* Mailman README.SENDMAIL
* Mailman README.LINUX
* Sendmails various READMES pertaining to SMRSH etc
* the mailman-developers list archives
At this point, i'm out of ideas on what to try, except to abandon
Mailman and switch to something like Majordomo, etc. And frankly i
think i've run out of time. I've spent several evenings on this
already. Getting any kind of mailing list up and running is more
important than the bells and whistles that Mailman offers.
More information about the Mailman-Developers