[Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Bugs-214205 ] e-mail<-> usenet gateway Reply-To header (PR#303)

noreply at sourceforge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 30 20:43:21 EST 2002

Bugs item #214205, was opened at 2000-09-11 16:25
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=214205&group_id=103

Category: nntp/news
>Group: 2.1 final

Initial Comment:
Jitterbug-Id: 303
Submitted-By: orion at tribble.dyndns.org
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:54:02 -0400 (EDT)
Version: 2.0beta4
OS: Debian linux potato

I'm running a plain e-mail<->usenet gateway.
When someone replies to a usenet post through the list, his e-mail client sets
an In-Reply-To: header instead of a Reply-To: header. This causes newsreaders to
improperly thread messages.

I inserted the following bit into Mailman/Handlers/ToUsenet.py at around line
82:

    # if the message is a reply to a previous post, change the header so
    # that newsreaders can thread it properly
    if msg.getheader('in-reply-to'):
        msg.headers.append('References: %s\n' % msg.getheader('in-reply-to'))
        del msg['in-reply-to']

I'm happy to say that this solved the problem.

(before you laugh at me, take note that I never looked at python before.)

Audit trail:
None

Comment By: Barry A. Warsaw (bwarsaw)