[Mailman-Developers] Future: Safe Auto-moderated Announce List

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:30:24 -0800

I see the basic "how do I let the right people post to this announce list
automatically" question often enough to indicate that there is a perceived
need.

Let's put digital signature technology to work.

For some post 2.1 release (and probably patchable into 2.1 by suitable
people), extend the privacy options to include:

List (two columns...duplicate senders probably allowed for the case of a
work key and a home key or an assistant's key for authorized forging, or
whatever):
  Automatically post messages from these senders PROVIDED they are
digitally signed using the key listed for the sender.

Checkbox:
  Automatically and silently reject (with logging) any message not from a
listed sender and properly signed.

Variations (not silently rejected, etc, if desired...but sending a
rejection message gives the would-be rogue poster information).

It seems to me that this can be turned into a suitable solution to the
auto-moderated announce list desire, without a whole lot of coding.

I didn't see such a feature request on SourceForge...if I missed it I
apologize (I've spent no more than 15 minutes driving SourceForge).

  --John (whose site has about 5 lists which would benefit from this feature)

OA   (Obligatory acronym):  SAMAL
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA