[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted addresses...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:20:03 -0800

Interesting article on slashdot:

<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/17/2031249>

Basically, DSLreports did a test, and found that e-mail addresses posted on
a web site could start seeing spam in as little as 8 hours.

I mention it for two reasons. One, since mail lists manage e-mail addresses
(and archives of e-mail addresses), it is yet antother indication  of just
why we have to be careful about presenting and disclosing that stuff. And
second, since one of the addresses presented and disclosed is that of the
admin, we really need to come up with ways that allow newbies to contact an
admin without easily disclosing addresses to spammers. And, unfortunately,
the security problems with formmail.pl have shown THAT isn't really the
answer...

Chuq

--
Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/)
Will Geek for hardware.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?