[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted addresses...

Larry McVoy lm@bitmover.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:48:28 -0800

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 07:40:54PM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> On 2/17/02 7:39 PM, "Larry McVoy" <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:
>
> > Without in any way discouraging those efforts, isn't it somewhat futile?
> > It seems that the area for improvement is on the receiving end filtering
> > technology.  Or am I missing something?
>
> That you can't get 100% success is no excuse for not trying -- or making it
> easy.

First, I tried to be clear that I wasn't saying "don't try".  In case that's
not clear "please do try to keep spam down".  OK?  I'm on your side, I'm
not trying to argue with you at all.

Second, the point is that even if mailman is 100% perfect, it's not
at all clear that that would result in even 1% less spam hitting home.
If that's even remotely close, then it seems like efforts could be better
spent on screening technology.
--
---