[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted addresses...

Damien Morton dm-temp-310102@nyc.rr.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:34:11 -0500

What do you think, then, of rendering the text of the email into a GIF
or somesuch.

Combined with javascript, the clickable email functionality would be
able to be retained, but for users without javascript functionality,
they would have to read and type the email address manually.

-----Original Message-----
From: mailman-developers-admin@python.org
[mailto:mailman-developers-admin@python.org] On Behalf Of John W Baxter
Sent: Monday, 18 February 2002 13:25
To: mailman-developers@python.org
Subject: RE: [Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted
addresses...

At 7:12 -0500 2/18/2002, Damien Morton wrote:
>There are several approaches to this, including
>the use of javascript email decryptors and/or publishing email
>addresses as rendered images.

I don't think we can assume that the user who feels a need to send mail
to the admin has a JavaScript-capable browser with JavaScript turned on.
Nor can we require it, IMHO.

  --John (right now, I can't remember which browsers on which machines
have Javascript turned on.  Not good)

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA