[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on postedaddresses...

Dale Newfield dale@newfield.org
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:20:14 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Damien Morton wrote:
> OCR is hard

OCR is hard mostly because of the analog components (and the variety of
fonts that exist).  If you are generating the image digitally (and with a
limited set of fonts), most of the OCR problems go away.

> Some examples of reverse turing tests. (http://www.captcha.net/)

It appears that each of those introduces non ADA compliant aspects. The
first and third can be defeated with a database no larger than that needed
to implement it, the third is unlikely to work on many platforms (audio
dependancies kept it from working for me), and the fourth I couldn't even
figure out as a human--not what we're looking for.

> Between an audio test and a visual test, you've got the blind and the
> deaf covered.

And you've introduced lots of browser/platform dependancies that mean you
can't use new low-bandwidth platforms, like WAP.

-Dale