[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on postedaddresses...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:23:59 -0800

On 2/25/02 8:56 AM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

> That said, my normal daily mail load is almost 300 these days,
> including 9 mailing lists, and my spamcount is about 15; I deal with
> them in about 2 minutes; and that's with *no* automated de-spamming,
> and about 200 posts a week to Usenet in 12 different groups.
>
> I guess I'm just lucky.

Yes, you are. You don't want to know how much mail I get (but I'm subscribed
to every list my sites manage plus most of the -admin addresses to same, but
my assistant gets first crack at those now...). I have lists that get 15
spam attacks a day now. I woke up to 27 pieces of spam in my personal
mailbox, and that's just one address, and since midnight.

I also do almost not automated de-spamming at this point, other than basic
sendmail relay checks and the like. I'll probably do more some day (at
Apple, we use brightmail on the main mail systems, and I'd like to cloak the
list servers on it as well; at home, once I upgrade the server to MacOS X,
upgrade the MTA to Postfix and generally replace everything under the hood,
I'm looking at spamassassin. But it makes no sense to do the work before the
ugprade and move it...)

I think you do have a light spam load for someone with a public presence,
Jay. Especially on usenet. Do you obfuscate your usenet address?

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging.