[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen@xemacs.org
26 Feb 2002 11:38:34 +0900

    BAW> I /think/ I've caught up on this thread,

Like JRA I think your synopsis is accurate, with respect to the issues
that can be addressed by code.

    BAW> I claim that the guessability [of list-related addresses] is
    BAW> a feature, btw.

Yes.

    BAW> I'd do the same with cookies if I could figure out how to do
    BAW> low-frustration-factor authentication without them.

Don't even think such things.  You're just tempting the Lords of
Chaos.  Ie, in this case, if you can't support HTTP well enough to
handle cookies, you aren't going to support anything powerful enough
for any kind of authentication very well either.  It's just not the
same as supporting multimedia.

    BAW> 5) list rosters

I don't know of any lists where these are available to the members,
let alone the public.