[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:08:24 -0500

    >> BAW> 5) list rosters
    >> I don't know of any lists where these are available to the
    >> members, let alone the public.

    CVR> You know, now that I think about it. Wihle I think Mailman
    CVR> now has this turned off by default (does it? If not, it
    CVR> should...), perhaps it's time to just make the option dead
    CVR> and buried, so that na=EFve list admins don't have the ability=

    CVR> to open it up any more...

The problem is that I suspect it makes it much harder for a person to
find their user account and get themselves unsubscribed.  Without the
roster, they have to know the address they're subscribed with to get
anywhere.  And lots of people don't.

-Barry