[Mailman-Developers] more snapshot woes...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:02:32 -0500

    RJ> I hate installing python.  All those 80 gazillion modules,
    RJ> each of which thinks it knows more about your system than you
    RJ> do, and wants to taunt you with it.  I remembered that my big
    RJ> problems in the past have been the fact that I'm a Berkeley
    RJ> 3.N shop (soon to be 4.N) and pythin is still thinking 1.85...

Berkeley db support is the sorest point for me, but BDB support on
most Linuxes is a mess anyway.  On my Linux box, with multiple BDB
libraries installed, Python 2.1.x always worked just fine for me.
It's completely broken in Python 2.2; won't even build.  But unless
you need BDB support for something other than Mailman, I wouldn't
worry about it.  I changed the Postfix MTA module to not depend on the
bsddb module, so that fragile piece of brokenness is gone.

(Aside: if you're doing serious work with Berkeley DB in Python, do
yourself a favor and go to pybsddb.sf.net, download and install Robin
Dunn's new wrapper.  It's a little tricky getting to build correctly,
but read the docs carefully and you should be okay.)

    RJ> So I remembered to with the --without-libdb and compiled
    RJ> cleanly the first try.  Now I discover that 2.2 is pissed at
    RJ> my libz, which I haven't changed since I started compiling
    RJ> python 1.whatever, and works fine with 2.0.  Did I mention I
    RJ> hate installing python?

Sigh, I dimly remember something about zlib compatibility, it's got to
be version 1.0.4 or better, right?  I've got zlib 1.1.3 on my ancient
RH6.1 Linux box, and Python 2.2 built against it no sweat.

-Barry