[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

Paul Schreiber cheesefactory@yahoo.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:23:34 -0800 (PST)

--- "Barry A. Warsaw" <barry@zope.com> wrote:

>     DM> You could always use Basic Authentication, with authentication
>     DM> being done by the cgi scripts against the membership list
>     DM> (emailaddress,password) rather than the webserver. As far as I
>     DM> can tell, this operates somewhat like a cookie in that
>     DM> identifying information is handed to the server on every
>     DM> request.
>
> Yeah, except that AFAICT, basic auth is broken in that you can't
> re-authenticate yourself or un-authenticate yourself.  I.e. you need
> to do `Logout', especially when you're debugging the admin
> interfaces. ;)

I believe there is a way to to do logout; it involves sending another 401
header to the client, which causes the browser to think it now has the wrong
password and forget it. apologies for being fuzzy on the details.

While I'm on the topic....
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/spamstopper.html

That utility translates all the characters in an email address to character
entities, something spambots aren't likely to pick up on. for now, anyway.

i.e. mailman could incorporate something like this.

Paul