[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

John Morton jwm@plain.co.nz
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:22:11 +1300

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 16:52, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     John> I find this feature is handy for small, private lists.
>
> Sure.  I have a couple that could be handled that way, but we just
> defaulted them all off.  We post the names and addresses (they're
> basically lists of project staff) on the home page, with mailtos and
> fancy formatting, instead.  When the staff forget who handles what,
> they use that interface, just like the clients do.  (It's voluntary,
> they are warned about harvesting; nobody has refused yet.)

Unless the membership data that mailman stores has suddenly got a lot better
documented since I last looked, I assume you're basically maintaining a
separate list for your roster. I'd rather have one source of member data.

>     John> I'd rather it was still around and just disabled by default
>     John> with warning stickers all over it than we dumb down mailman
>
> To me, it's not really an issue of dumbing down.  It would be easy
> enough to do this with a separate app, so the question is "should a
> deprecated feature continue to encruft MM?"

I agree that when Mailman has a nice, well documented data schema and a
datastore that accepts concurrent client access, then this sort of feature
ought to be deprecated from the MM core.

John