[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:40:20 -0500

    CVR> So just be aware -- if you create a server-wide "list", you
    CVR> may well be creating a point of conflict, based on my
    CVR> experience. And it wasn't a situation where, at least for
    CVR> those users, "if you subscribe to a list on this site, you
    CVR> have to get this" was an acceptable answer to these people.
    CVR> So instead of getting a message once, they get it four or
    CVR> five times, and since they come in the name of the list they
    CVR> subscribed to, evidently that's okay.

    CVR> Go figure. But be wary here, Barry. My experience doing
    CVR> something very similar was horrible.

Actually, we're no worse off than we were before, in fact, it should
now be better.  How many messages have /you/ gotten from people
receiving the password reminder from a list they never heard of?
Remember that 2.0.x just picked the first public list at random (well,
lexically sorted) and used /that/ for the origin of the reminder.
That's so obviously broken that it had to be fixed.

-Barry