[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

Marc MERLIN marc_news@vasoftware.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:07:41 -0800

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 08:03:14PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     MM> The funny thing is that I've gotten lots of hate mail saying
>     MM> "how do you dare sending my my mailman password in
>     MM> cleartext. STOP THIS NOW!!!", but not one "why did this come
>     MM> from test-admin@lists.sf.net" :-)
>
>     MM> That said, I very much welcome the new option in 2.1.
>
> And of course, in MM2.1 they can turn their password reminders off
> entirely.

Yes, I was very relieved when that feature appeared :-)

>     MM> Am I to understand however that the sitewide list doesn't have
>     MM> to be a list and can be a mail alias instead?
>
> No, as it stands in cvs, it has to be a list.

Not that it is a big deal to me, but out of curiosity: what part of mailman
cares that it's a list and not a mail alias?
Does mailman act on the bounces sent back to the envelope from when it sends
password reminders?

Marc