[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:05:00 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 09:40:20AM +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 19:43, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> > I'm willing to change the default roster view to list-members-only.
>
> For those within the EU*, the only correct setting is for the list admin
> only to be able to see the roster.  You may be able to make a case for
> not even them to be able to see the roster :-)
>
> * ie those with EU data protection legislation affecting them.
>   I have a vague idea that there are EU attempts to make this
>   legislation stick worldwide where EU citizens are involved,
>   and US attempt to be able to rape the data whoever its on.

Well, presumably, if you *tell the users before hand that it's a
condition*, then could make the information available, right?

Lawyers will be happy to make it impossible for you to actually conduct
business, if you let them; after all, *everything* is a legal exposure.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")