[Mailman-Developers] Newlist/rmlist update

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 15:26:11 -0500

    MM> As promised, here's a patch that:
    MM> 1) Adds the SPLIT_DIRS option which does this:

Some questions: what if you already have an `m' list or a `t' list?  I
guess you can't mix and match split dirs installations with non-split
dirs installations.  It also means...

    MM> If everyone is cool with this, I'll write a tool to convert an
    MM> existing installation to the new (optional) directory layout
    MM> (I need this for lists.sourceforge.net)

...that this tool will be essential.  Also, will the conversion script
be able to go back to non-SPLIT_DIRS configuration?  This also hints
that maybe we don't need the SPLIT_DIRS variable, but perhaps we can
simply auto-detect it (although if it makes life easier, I'm not
opposed to the variable).

Are you sure other bits that look for the list's directory still work
(like template searching, or extend.py)?  They should because of the
symlinks.

Also...

    MM> 2) Creates the pipermail html dir at list creation time so
    MM> that you don't get an http error when you view the archive of
    MM> a list that doesn't have messages yet

    MM> 3) rmlist now does what it advertises with -a (you couldn't
    MM> erase archives after erasing a list)

These are both useful patches on their own, so it's best in general to
split them up into individual patches.  I think I can strip them out
from your diff, so don't worry about it this time.  I'll go ahead and
apply these parts now, and if necessary you can re-generate the
SPLIT_DIRS patch based on the above comments.

Thanks!
-Barry