[Mailman-Developers] Feature request w/code

Les Niles les@2pi.org
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:50:42 -0800

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:58:41 -0500 barry@zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Just wanted to let you know that I've released Mailman 2.1 alpha 4.
>Below is the big list of changes with this release.  This will be the
>last alpha release for 2.1, but this still leaves open the possibility
>of a few new features in MM2.1.  I've got everything in that I intend
>to get in.  If you've got a pet new feature -- and have code that
>implements it -- please do remind me about it now and I'll work on
>getting in what I can for the first beta.

Cool!

Here's my pet new feature: MIME stripping, particularly for getting
rid of HTML and/or various binary attachments.

I just uploaded a patch (501199) against 2.1a4 that implements this
in a Handler.  It is per-list configurable with a list of regexps
to match against the mime types to be deleted.  (The config is in a
new web page in the admin GUI, but maybe it'd be better stuck into
one of the existing pages.  I just didn't see an obvious
candidate.)

This implementation was originally written for 2.1alpha3.  We've
been using it on a few lists for 2-3 months without problems.  The
basic algorithm has been in use for over a year on several
medium-sized lists; it's not perfect but has done a good job of
making the multipart HTML generated by a lot of MUAs palatable to
plain-text readers, as well as stripping out images and other
binaries that shouldn't be posted under the lists' charters.

  -les