[Mailman-Developers] Thanks Everyone - First Big Mailing

Peter C. Norton spacey-mailman@lenin.nu
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:18:12 -0800

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 08:39:41AM -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I'm going to upgrade python to the latest and greatest. If I get the exim
> processes down I shouldn't overload the file handles - but - in the 2.4 kernel
> - how do I increase the number of open files?

The kernel ships by default with about 8k file descriptors available.  If
the system just does email, then you probably have a ulimit setting of 1024
by default, and you can change that by (as root) doing a ulimit -n 2048, or
4096, or whatever and spawning the shell that starts exim, or the shell that
starts postfix - whichever is exhausting its resources.

There used to be some header twiddling you had to do in 2.2 to get select()
to work properly, but I don't think thats an issue anymore.

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.