[Mailman-Developers] USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER is not flexible enough

Jason R. Mastaler jason-list-mailman-developers@mastaler.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:48:43 -0700

For members-only lists like this one, USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER currently
allows the admin to determine membership by checking either the From:
header, OR the envelope sender address.

I think a more flexible alternative would be to first check the
envelope sender, and then the From: header for a match.  In fact, this
would make sense as the default setting IMHO.

Why am I interested in this?  Because I like to post to public mailing
lists and newsgroups with a 'dated' address that expires after a set
period of time to thwart SPAM harvesters.  Obviously I can't use these
one-time addresses on closed lists, but I could get around this by
posting with an envelope sender address that matches my subscription
address, and a 'dated' address in my From: header.  The closed list
would be happy, and I would be happy.

--
(TMDA (http://tmda.sourceforge.net/)
(UCE intrusion prevention in Python)