[Mailman-Developers] Importing email 0.96 problem

Colin Mackinlay mailman-list@mackinlay.demon.co.uk
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:34:32 +0000 (GMT)

In <URL:news:local.mailman-d> on Mon 28 Jan, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     CM> The documented way to install email is: python setup.py
>     CM> install
>
>     CM> This doesn't work for me as 2.1.1 is installed from an RPM and
>     CM> throws errors in relation to configure.
>
> I'd like to see the exact errors that occur.  This may indicate a bug
> in Python's distutils system.  Or it could be that you need the devel
> rpms for Python (although that would suck, since email is a pure
> Python package -- i.e. no C extensions).  Also, you may want to try
> upgrading to Python 2.1.2 to see if that fixes the problem.
>
> In any case, I'd like to know more about this failure.

Traceback .....
 File setup.py line 19 in ?
 .
 .
 .
 File "/usr/lib/python2.1/distutils/sysconfig.py" line 302, in
 _init_posix rais DistutilsPlatformError, my_msg

 distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError invaid Python installation
 unable to open /usr/lib/python2.1/config/Makefile (no such file or
 directory)

Colin