[Mailman-Developers] Importing email 0.96 problem

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:20:33 -0500

    >>  Why not upgrade to Python 2.2 instead?  Since 2.2 comes with
    >> the email module, he won't have to worry about installing it
    >> separately which seems to be the crux of his problem.

    CM> This is what I did originally, it makes a bit of a mess as 2.2
    CM> doesn't install by default into the same place that 2.1 lives
    CM> (may be a Mandrake issue).

I think so.  From source, Python will install in /usr/local/bin by
default, but Mandrake puts it in /usr/bin/python I believe.  I've got
MD8.1 on my laptop, and /usr/bin/python is 2.1.1.

Python install trick: if you want to have multiple version of Python
live side-by-side in /usr/local, use "make install" for the one you
want to be the default, and "make altinstall" for the others.  Thus,
you'll have /usr/local/bin/python and /usr/local/bin/pythonX.Y where X
is the major rev and Y is the minor rev.  You can't have micro (bug
fix) releases live side-by-side AFAIK.

    CM> Also what I go were a number of errors (from bsddb3 I think)
    CM> which complained that programs were linked to differen
    CM> versions of a library file.

Yeah, this is definitely a fragile bit of the configuration for
Postfix integration.  Probably too fragile for production.  Sigh.

    CM> I went back to trying to hack 2.1.1 into using email as I was
    CM> concerned that the libray errors were why my lit moderator
    CM> pages wouldn't let me confirm new subscription requests.

Hmm, Python 2.1.1 or 2.1.2 ought to work just fine, with the add-on
email package of course.

-Barry