[Mailman-Developers] Re: Theoretical way to minimize IO load with MTA supported VERP

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:37:58 -0500

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 12:20:35AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> tneff@bigfoot.com writes:
>  > "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
>  > > I don't see that there *is* any theoretical way to *keep* loads down
>  > > with VERP, by it's very nature.
>  >
>  > If one was willing to extend SMTP again,
>
> Not necessary.  If you know the remote MTA supports VERP, you can just
> send email like this:

Well, *that* was a blast from the past.

My point, of course, had been *network loads*, and I stand by it, *in
the face of standard mailers at the other end of all the links*.  Of
course smart recipient mailers can solve a lot of the problem, but only
if they're there.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")