[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:28:07 -0700

On 7/16/02 5:35 PM, "Bob Puff@NLE" <bob@nleaudio.com> wrote:

> I've seen the next generation of spammer software at work recently.  Spammer's
> machine makes direct SMTP connection to my box

Actually, the REAL state of the art is that they look up your MX records,
and do this to the HIGHEST ranked one (not the lowest). This is on the (it
turns out, quite valid) assumption that it won't be spamblocked as well as
the main MX relay is, but will be validated to forward stuff in to you. And
where they're trying that, we're finding it works (grumble grr) damn well.

Which means some of the assumptions we make on allowing, say, me on
plaidworks to generate email as chuq@apple.com and forward it to someone at
Apple are rapidly becoming obsolete, and how we design our backup MX systems
need to be looked at, also.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

No! No! Dead girl, OFF the table! -- Shrek