[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:14:24 -0700

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:28:07 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/02 5:35 PM, "Bob Puff@NLE" <bob@nleaudio.com> wrote:

>> I've seen the next generation of spammer software at work recently.
>> Spammer's machine makes direct SMTP connection to my box

> Actually, the REAL state of the art is that they look up your MX
> records, and do this to the HIGHEST ranked one (not the lowest).

Yup.  I first started seeing this around March of last year and started
mentioning that fact here and on the various list-manager lists at that
time.

> This is on the (it turns out, quite valid) assumption that it won't be
> spamblocked as well as the main MX relay is, but will be validated to
> forward stuff in to you. And where they're trying that, we're finding
> it works (grumble grr) damn well.

You're not alone.  Currently some 30% of my SPAM comes thru backup MXes.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?