[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:17:11 -0400

    JCL> Note: Many MUAs do this sort of address collection outside of
    JCL> Outlook.  Heck, even the exmh I use can do collect addresses
    JCL> that way (and does by default IIRC)

I've got 40k+ entries in my bbdb database, give or take duplicates,
'bots, and multiple emails for the same person.

    JCL> One possible technical approach is the mask all From: and CC:
    JCL> addresses on messages broadcast from a list with date limited
    JCL> plus addresses which reverse map on the list server back to
    JCL> the original address.  Its no sort of permanent solution, it
    JCL> doesn't handle addresses quoted in .sigs, message bodies, or
    JCL> other odd/arbitrary headers, but it can do a whole lot to
    JCL> cripple address harvesting.

    JCL> <ponder>

    JCL> Actually, I rather like this idea for certain lists.

Indeed.  And as you point out, date limiting is the trick.  Then
again, once the alias is expired, posting to the list is your only
option, and then you're back to reply-to munging.

-Barry