[Mailman-Developers] Modifying mailman to filter archived messages

Laurence Berland laurence@digitalpulp.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:34:51 -0400

Sent this to Mailman-users earlier, but am now thinking it is more appropriate
here...

All,
	I'm trying to modify mailman to simplify some tasks.  Currently, sysadmins
get various emails from LogWatch every day or so that need to be read through
in depth and then saved to some mailbox somewhere.  This both takes a lot of
time and creates lots of private copies of these messages, which is bad.
	The simple part of this is to instead have the emails go to a mailman list
that these people may or may not choose to subscribe to, so that mailman will
archive the messages and let people choose whether or not to receive them
without the intervention of others.  The tough part is status coding.  I've
already modified LogWatch (and will modify other email-sending scripts such
as our backup scripts) to code certain lines based on whether or not they
require attention.  Example 0: means "fine" or "green" and 2: means "trouble"
or "red".  What I'd like mailman to do is trap these strings such as "0:"
"1:" etc and replace them with something else.  Is there a particularl easy
way to do this?  If not, where in the code could I conceivably do this.  I've
been briefly skimming the code, and intend to read through quite a bit of it
to figure all this out, but if anyone could at least point me in the right
direction it'd make me very happy.

Thanks for your help,
Laurence Berland