[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:22:12 -0400

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 11:56:16PM -0700, Satya wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2002 at 22:44, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> >On 7/16/02 9:49 PM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
>
> >the policies up. Unless, of course, your policy is "you're screwed if you
> >post to my list, and good luck stopping the spammers". Which is,
> >effectively, what "make the owner of the mailbox handle it" does as a
> >policy. Although I doubt you'd phrase it quite that way...

Note that the attribs are slightly hosed there; that's Chuq.

> I wouldn't, but that would be my policy, yes. OTOH, no one pays me to
> run mailing lists.
>
> Again, it's the same thing: have the mechanism (I'm not even sure
> *which* mechanism(s) you're talking about now), let $foo decide the
> policy, where $foo iterates over the list of users.

The mechanism is "permit the hooking in of a method for preventing spam
from reaching the list", I think.

> Of course, that causes one person's miscalculation to be another
> person's (times n) headache. Networks are like that.

Yep.

> >Heh. Wanna guarantee messages get bounced all over the place? Just use the
> >"V" word in an email. You know which one I mean. You'll set off alarms all
>
> "virus"? Something else? VD? What?

Vger.

> (Insert Picard's speech about drawing the line here.)

That was *precisely* what was running through my mind; only saw that
movie 5 days ago.

> >> My sister runs a page that's always in the top 3 on Google in her
> >> *One* piece of spam.
> >I am amazed.
>
> So am I. I mean, *one*?

One.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")