[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:12:59 -0400

    CVR> This is, in fact, a great example in the real world of the
    CVR> situation I had this weekend in the email world. The poor
    CVR> idiot who spammed my users out of his address book wasn't a
    CVR> criminal -- until the minute he made that mistake in
    CVR> judgement and sent that e-mail. So while it's fun to run
    CVR> around screaming about the criminals being the problem, the
    CVR> most common problems we face are otherwise reasonable people
    CVR> who make mistakes or have lapses in judgement, not the guy in
    CVR> the alley with the gun and the blackjack. But it's a lot
    CVR> easier to talk about criminals and build a rhetoric and avoid
    CVR> having to deal with the tough situation of finding ways to
    CVR> protect people from their lapses, where there was no
    CVR> conscious intent to do something.

Ah, now here's our angle.  We're actually fighting cyberterrorists.  I
can almost tastest the Department of Homeland Security grants.

    CVR> Nope. Pass. I'm already too close to a philosophical argument
    CVR> that'll drive this list bonkers. I'm not crossing the
    CVR> line... I hope.

Thanks.  While I love a fiesty political debate as much as the next
guy (really!), this list is definitely off-topic for it.

-Barry