[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:26:11 -0400

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 03:09:28AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

    JRA> I hoped someone would bite.  :-)

:)

    JRA> 2822 3.4.1 says that the *LHS* cannot have a trailing dot
    JRA> without quoting it... but in the next graf, it seems to punt
    JRA> the interpretation of "domain" to 1034.

Which circular references back to RFC 822. :)

But anyway I thought we were talking about the localpart.

    JRA> You're right, that *is* what the standard says, and I'm
    JRA> surprised they left it that way in the rewrite; that is *not*
    JRA> the way it should have been done.  There are good reasons why
    JRA> you might want to terminate a domain name, even in email --
Did you leave out "with a dot" ?
    JRA> though mostly diagnostic ones, admittedly.

Hmm, not a use case I've ever encountered.  "localhost.localdomain" is
about as wacky as it gets.

-Barry