[Mailman-Developers] Re: Opening up a few can o' worms here...

JasonR.Mastaler JasonR.Mastaler
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:39:34 -0600

barry@zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> Basically you're trying to set up a Turing test, yes?

At this point, it's not necessary.  The challenge currently needs to
be no more more complex than confirming a mailing list subscription
(i.e, "hit reply to confirm").

For reasons discussed in the my FAQ, it might not ever need to be
either.  In any case, should this change, there is work being done to
derive tests than humans can pass, but computers cannot.  For example,
the CAPTCHA project (http://www.captcha.net/).

I'm a believer in not trying to cross that bridge until we come to it
though.

--
(http://tmda.net/)