[Mailman-Developers] Re: Opening up a few can o' worms here...

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:34:37 -0500

* On 2002.07.18, in <20020718102426.48111@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>,
*	"Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

> You obviously have not been following the activities of Senator
> Hollings, D-Disney, whose SSSCA indeed wants to make the very *design*
> of Linux illegal.

How does this conflict with the design of Linux (or, presumably, any
other operating system)? Why is it not possible to integrate DRM support
into Linux?

> Please, nobody tell Hollings about CS First Boston and the NYSE, not to
> mention a large chunk of the backbone.  I wanna see what happens when
> everyone just shuts their Linux boxes down because they've been
> declared illegal.

Existing systems are grandfathered. It's not clear (to me) whether this
applies only to hardware devices, or also to software; or whether a
device wishing to be grandfathered needs to be sponsored by some legal
entity.

Not that I support the SSSCA; I just think it pays better to fight on
fair terms.

--
 -D.			Fresh fruit enriches everyone.  Takes the thirst
 ENSA, NSIT		out of everyday time.  A pure whiff of oxygen,