[Mailman-Developers] ASCII Prefixes

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:51:52 -0700

On Tuesday, July 23, 2002, at 09:36 , Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     BG> OTOOH, we could make *this* the per-list setting; we could
>     BG> have the heuristic guess whether to encode or not if the list
>     BG> owner wants it. That way we don't have to have a ton of prefix
>     BG> character set settings, and we make the people who get angry
>     BG> at seeing [MyFrenchList] encoded in header QP happy.
>
> Is subject_prefix the only place this option would make sense?  If so,
> then I can probably add a boolean variable to the General admin page,
> otherwise I might want to add something to the Languages page.

The only other place I could guess would be the message headers and
footers.  But bodies are so commonly encoded in quoted-printable these
days that it's pretty much not an issue.  I'll guess the only reason
people have an issue with headers having encoded-words that don't "need
to" be encoded is because there are a few people out there who don't
have RFC-compliant mail readers.

Ben