[Mailman-Developers] Modifying mailman to filter archived messages

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:52:50 -0400

    LB> I'm using mailman 2.0.11 and can't seem to find the file
    LB> ArchRunner.py, or even a Queue directory for that matter.  Is
    LB> this because my version is too old/new?

Too old.  MM2.0.x is in the critical patch only phase of its life, and
even that is getting difficult to do correctly (witness the 2.0.12
problem w/ Python 1.5.2).

    LB> Where would I find this in 2.0.11, or should I just upgrade
    LB> and port the work I've already done over?  If so, what version
    LB> should I upgrade to, keeping in mind this code needs to
    LB> actually be used in production in the near future, so beta
    LB> (2.1?) isn't necessarily a good idea.

Depends.  MM2.1 is probably the only one that has the architecture
you'll need to do the things I think you'll want to do.  It's mostly
stable enough.

    LB> I've added a few config flags instead.  When I finish with all
    LB> this, is there any interest in adding it back in to the
    LB> mailman source?  It offers three configurable parameters for
    LB> archives.  Regex filtering on/off, regex pattern, replacement
    LB> pattern.  I can think of a few interesting uses offhand,
    LB> namely variable spam armoring, automatic filtering of
    LB> obscenity (if it's a list for children or something, I don't
    LB> want to claim to generally advocate that sort of thing),
    LB> gratuitous substitution of phrases (I know some people who'd
    LB> love to always replace "Microsoft" with "the evil whose name
    LB> one dares not speak" in every message...), etc.

Possibly, but MM2.1 is pretty well feature frozen.

    LB> I'm trying to conform, and hopefully someone will be willing
    LB> to glance over stuff when I'm done and tell me if I have
    LB> conformed sufficiently, and if not what changes I need make.

The best approach, IMO is to post your work as a patch to the SF patch
managers, and announce it here so folks can take a look.

-Barry