[Mailman-Developers] Daily digests and other issues

Will Galloway mmlist@confused.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:39:15 -0700

Hi:

I didn't see anything like this in MM-Users, so I hope it's OK to post here.
I admin a ~1000 member outdoor activities list hosted at pair.com ("pairlist"),
so I don't get to see the gory stuff, just the web interface. The size threshold
trigger for daily digests stopped working last year, and I understand unoffically
that it was a server loading issue that caused this. The server in question
handles several hundred lists. Since our list has quite a bit of time sensitive info,
and variable traffic levels, this feature is very important. Is there any change in
the handling of this feature in 2.1.x that would reduce the CPU requirements?
Or anything that pair can try to clean up their implementation to fix it?

Other stuff:
Duplicate and frivolous subscriptions are annoying, and a "discard" option for
sub. requests would be much appreciated. Awareness of a pre-existing sub.
request from the same address should be implemented. Rejection just confuses
legitimate (albeit impatient) subscribers, and encourages people who are
messing around to keep trying. In the same vein, the ability to modify/eliminate
the default rejection message for posts would avoid antagonizing people who
need coaching now and then. If true moderation and customization of all the
various messages is forthcoming, then that's ideal.

Thanks,

Will Galloway