[Mailman-Developers] Cute TMDA use

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:31:03 -0400

Very cool, thanks for starting the discussion on this JC.

I'm torn.  On the one hand, we /are/ supposed to be in feature freeze
and jeez, can I ever get this thing out the door?  Well, I'm going to
try hard to do so as soon as possible.

OTOH, this seems like such a useful and simple feature to add, it'd be
almost a crime not to.  What I would do is this:

- If a post comes from a non-member, send a confirmation message to
  them.  This would actually use most of the machinery already in
  place for confirmations.

- If they confirm/reply, we'd add the address to the
  accept_these_nonmembers list and send all their held messages on
  through.

Here's a question though: what do we do if the default moderation bit
for members is turned on?  I don't want to get into a situation where
a member's posting would get held, but a non-member posting would go
through without some interaction from the list owner.

I guess if the default moderation bit is set, then we wouldn't send
out the confirmation message, and non-member postings would have to be
approved just like they are today.

-Barry