[Mailman-Developers] Cute TMDA use

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:20:22 -0700

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:13:54 -0400
Barry A Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:

>>> That would mean that all posts to the list are either from
>>> subscribers (who got the information about archiving at time of
>>> subscription), or those that have confirmed their willingness to be
>>> archived.

JCL> Excellent point.  I like it.

> Me too.

JCL> Note however that that implies that subscribers who post have to
JCL> verify thru TMDA.

> Not necessarily.  Mailman's replybot can be set up to provide that
> information to them during the confirmation handshake.

Yes, but the point (I think) is that Nathan wants something explicitly
linked against posting versus subscribing or other generic list
activity.

  "You are posting to the list and you've not done that before.  Please
  realise that by posting your message will be archived for posterity
  and the purposes of blackmail and public embarrassment and there won't
  be a damn thing you can do about it.  Do you really want to post to
  this list?"

Nathan has already stated he's interested in some of the legal CYA, and
for that (I expect) he needs an explicit decision at the time of first
post, not first subscribe.

Note; With an integrated TMDA setup such as I'm doing (versus TMDA-like
features in Mailman) this is fairly simple to accomplish.  You just
don't point TMDA at your Mailman configs as a source of valid email
addresses.

> BTW, cooler heads have prevailed.  I'm not going to build this into
> MM2.1, although I have added some notes to the TODO file.

Ahh.  Damn.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?