[Mailman-Developers] Re: Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Dan Mick Dan.Mick@sun.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:10:28 -0700

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> On 7/30/02 9:40 AM, "Dan Mick" <Dan.Mick@sun.com> wrote:
>

>>Do you mean that the premise,
>>"the email address is either inaccessible or inaccessible just to
>>ADA folks" is not valid?
>

> No, I don't. Programmatically obfuscating an email address still makes that
> obfuscated email address available to a reader app for a sight-limited
> person. So at least he gets something that can be interpreted. If you put it
> in a graphic, since you can't (by definition) put readable content in the
> ALT tag, that person ends up with a big empty, which means it's no longer
> accessible.

That sounds like a "yes the premise is invalid", not a "no".

Ka-Ping said "if you make the address inaccessible to all, that's worse
than making it inaccessible only to ADA folks, so the latter is a net
win."

You're apparently assuming that there is no acceptable solution that
will make the address inaccessible to all, which is a reasonable
assumption, but not what Ka-Ping was saying.