[Mailman-Developers] Cute TMDA use

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:26:13 -0400

    JCL> Nathan has already stated he's interested in some of the
    JCL> legal CYA, and for that (I expect) he needs an explicit
    JCL> decision at the time of first post, not first subscribe.

Ah.  You know, Mailman is /almost/ there.  You can set up a replybot
on receiving a message to the posting address.  That plus quarantined
moderation nearly gets you there.  The one bit that you'd need to add
is the actual explicit confirmation step.

    JCL> Note; With an integrated TMDA setup such as I'm doing (versus
    JCL> TMDA-like features in Mailman) this is fairly simple to
    JCL> accomplish.  You just don't point TMDA at your Mailman
    JCL> configs as a source of valid email addresses.

    >> BTW, cooler heads have prevailed.  I'm not going to build this
    >> into MM2.1, although I have added some notes to the TODO file.

    JCL> Ahh.  Damn.

I know, I know.  I'd really like to see how the TMDA stuff pans out as
more people use it.  I think rather than run headlong into adding a
feature at the last minute (so to speak), we can take a principled
look at how to improve and borrow things for the next Mailman release.

-Barry