[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] "Host name this list prefers"

Jon Carnes jonc@nc.rr.com
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:29:56 -0400

On Saturday 01 June 2002 10:28 pm, Danny Terweij wrote:
> steven <hostmaster@shults.org> heeft geschreven:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I get the field labelled "Host name this list prefers" on the
> > admin page "mailing list administration
> > General Options Section" to correctly handle a sub-domain (aka three
> > part machine name, e.g. foo.domain.com) so that mail sent from
> > adminstrative aliases comes from
> > listname-admin@foo.domain.dom  instead of listname-admin@domain.dom ?
>
> Hi,
>
> I have the same question asked at the dev list ( a few days ago).
> Here with Mailman 2,1b2 same problem.
>
>  Danny,

Alas, Mailman simply users the listname here and chops off any included
domain name.  If you want the Domain name included in the mailing properly,
then you will have to use the "generics" tables for Sendmail - or move your
MTA over to something that does virtual domains easier.

Postfix does Virtual domains quite easily.  You might want to look at using
that for your MTA instead of Sendmail (though I'm still a die-hard Sendmail
fan!).

Jon Carnes