[Mailman-Developers] Python-2.2 disaster

Carson Gaspar carson@taltos.org
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:42:04 -0500

<rant>
What !@#$% idiot did the python 2.2 build system!? It bombs out trying to
compile the extensions, because _someone_ got "clever" and decided to write
the build system in Python. And got it wrong. So it doesn't compile or link
properly. And after chasing through _8_ levels of indirection without
figuring out where it tries adding library arguments, I just give up!
For those who care, it's going insane trying to build _socket, and _curses,
and probably something else. _socket is trying to link against openssl, but
my openssl libraries aren't where it expects them to be, and if I hand-edit
setup.py (yes, hand-edit - ARRRRGH!) to put the correct paths in, it still
doesn't work, I suspect because it's not using -R or setting LD_RUN_PATH. I
haven't even looked at the other errors yet.
</rant>

So, just how "recommended" is python 2.2? Can I just use my python 2.0
installation until someone else makes this nightmare go away?

--
Carson Gaspar - carson@taltos.org
Queen Trapped in a Butch Body