[Mailman-Developers] Python-2.2 disaster

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:30:31 -0800

On 3/5/02 8:50 AM, "Barry A. Warsaw" <barry@zope.com> wrote:

>   CG> *sigh* The problems with running such a low market share
>   CG> platform like Solaris/SPARC *snort*
>
> Ah, okay.  Well, I tried to get into the Solaris machines on the SF
> compile farm, but I couldn't seem to scp up a Python 2.2. tarball.

(raises hand).

Python 2.2 on Solaris isn't that tough. I think it took me three tries, and
the glitches were mostly due to whether or not stuff was built in shared
libraries and locations of those libraries.

Here's my /lib:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         27 Sep 12 16:28 libgdbm.so.2 ->
/usr/local/lib/libgdbm.so.2*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         30 Feb  1 00:05 libncurses.so.5 ->
/usr/local/lib/libncurses.so.5
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         28 Feb  1 00:19 libpanel.so.5 ->
/usr/local/lib/libpanel.so.5
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         24 Feb  1 00:20 libz.so.1 ->
/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         22 Feb  1 00:42 libz.so ->
/usr/local/lib/libz.so*

You can see the packages I've installed, which got installed in
/usr/local/lib. The solaris ld.so seems to really, really want the shared
library part available out of /lib. That was the only piece that caused me a
bit of a teeth-grit. Everything else was pretty straightforward
tracking-down-and-killing missing stuff.

And yes, Solaris has a huge installed base in corporations -- but most of
the open source developers are developing on Linux and BSD. Since none of us
are PAYING them to develop, you shouldn't complain that it doesn't work on
your machine. You should dig in and make it work and submit the patches
back...

(and I would have, except I didn't see anything in Python that WAS really
broken. It was mostly a case of "my site doesn't look like you thought it
would" stuff)

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/