[Mailman-Developers] big list

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:34:44 -0500

    F> I've tried and installed 50,000 subscribers in one list, to
    F> send them VERP messages

The good news: thanks for stressing this part of Mailman.  I /think/
cvs now should perform much better.  Please try it out.  Mailman now
defers the final knitting of the message together with its header and
footer until SMTP delivery time.  That means that personalization and
VERPing are added to an in-memory copy.

I expect this to have two benefits: Mailman itself should be much less
hungry for disk I/O when doing VERP, and it should be nice for memory
footprint as well, as I expect the in-memory message copies to be
sufficently garbage collected away.  Please let me know what you
observe.

No promises that there aren't bugs lurking.

Bad new: I won't release a beta1 today.  I'd like for this code to air
out a bit, plus I didn't get to the last few non-related mods I was
planning to get to.  I'm headed off-line for a few hours now, but I'll
check back in tonight and over the weekend, time permitting.

More bad news: threaded delivery is gone.  Was anybody using this,
really?  Oh well, it was always labeled experimental anyway <wink>.

breaking-warsaw's-second-law-ly y'rs,
-Barry