[Mailman-Developers] Database version updates drop nomail settings

Les Niles les@2pi.org
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:06:51 -0800

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 12:30:58 -0500 barry@zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) wrote:

>    LN> There's a small bug in 2.1alpha4 in updating a list's database
>    LN> to the DATA_FILE_VERSION, causing "nomail" settings to not be
>    LN> propagated forward:
>
>I need more help with this one because I cannot reproduce the
>problem.  I've tried taking a MM2.0.8 list, with some members delivery
>disabled, and done upgrades to cvs.  I've tried loading the list in
>its locked and unlocked state.  In every case I see the disabled flag
>propagate to the updated list.  Of course, the member management page
>shows the reason for disabled as [?] which is correct.
>
>I have a tentative patch to versions.py that at least stops
>CanonicalizeUserOptions() from running more than once.  But I can't
>judge the correctness of Les's patch unless I have a reproducible
>bug.  So if you have some explicit steps to trigger the bug, please
>send them on, otherwise, I can't do much about this.

It looks like you've already fixed it in CVS.  I just confirmed
that I could reproduce the original bug after backing out my patch.
(Actually I brain-farted and first tried to reproduce it without
backing out the patch....)  But when I hacked versions.py to
initialize delivery_status with add_only_if_missing() as is done in
the current CVS version -- in 2.1alpha4 delivery_status was just
set to {} -- the problem disappeared.  (I left the
add_only_if_missing() in my code, since that seems like a much
better fix than mucking around with MailList.Lock().)

BTW, the way I produced the problem was just by copying a
lists/<listname> directory -- for a list with some
disabled-delivery subscribers -- from 2.0beta6 to 2.1alpha4.

>If it's a real bug, I'm sure it will come up during beta testing, but
>that might be too late (i.e. it might bite badly for people who are,
>er, more enthusiastic about upgrading. ;).

Yeah, it tended to cause unrest when folks had set up disabled-
delivery subscriptions to be able to post from alternate addresses
and all of a sudden started getting multiple copies of every
message. ;)

  -les