[Mailman-Developers] Re: [BUG] Users are created as moderated in CVS mailman

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:33:45 +0900

    BG> Okay, but this means that new list members will not be able to
    BG> post to lists until the admin sets them to be un-moderated,
    BG> right, by default?

    BAW> Their postings will be held for approval, correct.

    BG> What exactly do we gain from this?

    BAW> I seem to remember some discussion on this topic a week or so
    BAW> ago.  It seemed to me that the consensus was to quarantine
    BAW> new list members by default.  I might be mistaken (about the
    BAW> consensus), but it seems like as reasonable a default as not
    BAW> quarantining them.

This is VERY VERY VERY bad, Barry.

Just changing the default from underneath admins who upgrade a minor
release (heh) from 2.0 to 2.1 will confuse the hell out of everyone.

Whenever a new list is created, the admin will have to BY HAND modify
it to let new users post; no admin I know is going to want to spend
the time to do this, since there's no constant whining reminder to let
new users post.  Users will sign up, not be able to post, and complain
vociferously that Mailman is broken.

Please reconsider this behavior, as it's completely different from
Mailman's prior behavior -- but let it be enabled for admins who want
it that way.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters O and D and the number 4.
"Wuzzle means to mix."