[Mailman-Developers] Is there a stupid Python trick to save me?

Dan Mick Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM>
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:11:00 -0800 (PST)

> For the IncomingRunner, it should be easy.  Create a subclass of
> IncomingRunner, and override the _get_pipeline() method.  Then
> override the QRUNNERS variable in your mm_cfg.py to use your new
> subclass rather than IncomingRunner.  Again, untested, but a bit
> easier to do, and much safer on the brain the above two half-baked
> ideas.

Well, if I wanted to hack the code, lots of things would be easy...
but I was thinking of "some codified thing that lets an admin do
customization things" rather than "unsupported code hacks".
I was probing whether or not others thought there was a need;
primarily you.

If we're talking about custom pipeline modules, we're talking about
Python coders, so that's not a horrible thing, but: since modules
are already so separate, it would be useful, perhaps, to have
some sort of "insert this into the pipeline" mechanism that is
also separate and robust wrt changes like GLOBAL_PIPELINE changes.

I suppose subclassing isn't so bad, but it's a bit heavier
mechanism than I was thinking...but that may just be a function of
me thinking like a procedural programmer.  :)