[Mailman-Developers] Problem with mailman 2.0.8 upgrade to Mailman 2.1b1

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:42:07 -0500

    KW> Mailman 2.08 was working fine and I decided to upgrade to
    KW> mailman 2.1b1 and the web interface is fine and it sends out
    KW> the welcome messages fine. I regenerated the alias file to the
    KW> new format. I changed the wrapper to mailman in the /etc/smrsh
    KW> directory. The problem is when I send a message to the list I
    KW> receive the following error.

I suspect this is caused by a change to the configure script, where it
will now use the `mailman' group as the default for --with-mail-gid,
if it finds one.  Is gid 12 the mailman group?

    KW> I have always used the 501 GID has the group id, I did not
    KW> specify a different GID in the upgrade when I did the
    KW> configure, (all I specified was ./configure
    KW> --prefix=/home/mailman)..  How can I reconfigure without
    KW> losing my lists or starting over.

You definitely do not need to do either such drastic thing!  Just
re-run configure with --with-mail-gid=501 --prefix=/home/mailman then
re-run "make install" and you should be golden.

-Barry