[Mailman-Developers] Restrictions on listnames?

Richard Barrett R.Barrett@ftel.co.uk
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:04:09 +0000

At 23:01 18/03/2002 -0800, Ellen Spertus wrote:
>Are there any restrictions on list names?  The only implicit restriction I
>can see in the source is that they can't contain "@" (for good reason).
>
>For my modifications, I'd like to be able to assume a specific character
>(I don't care which) is a delimiter, not part of a list name.
>
>Suggestions?

Mailman's source code probably doesn't impose enough restrictions to
prevent list admins getting into trouble.

Your list name will have to serve as:

1. an addr-spec as defined in section 3.4.1 of rfc 2822

2. a directory name in the file system

3. part of a URL path

Prgmatically, you probably want list names that are straightforward to
enter on the command line and do not include characters that have to be
escaped in URLs (&, + and such).

Also kepp in mind that there are a set of mail aliases for each list:

If it were me I'd stick to a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and - (hyphen) and keep my sanity.